Re: backup question

From: Dominic Baines <rdab100_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 06:17:54 +0100

Interesting solutions to the Unix 2GB issue constantly appear on Oracle technet.

Standard Unix tools.... use a pipe to compress the export and then send the export to the pipe. You are still faced with the 2GB file limit on the compressed
export but used it sucessfully on 10GB + databases so far. When running an import you simply reverse the process. Unix is pretty clever that way :-)

Alternative is to run several separate exports. My suggestion would be

1.All SYS, SYSTEM first
2.All Schema Owners (Broken down separately if too large)
3.Everyone else.

Or you simply use a cold backup and archive the datafiles to tape :-)

Dominic Baines