Re: Coalesce command for fragmentation

From: <hr784_at_cleveland.freenet.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 23:02:40 GMT

Vickie,

The coalesce statement will only coalesce all contiguous free extents into a larger contiguous extent for each data file in the tablespace. This will not defrag your tablespace.

I find that it is best to backup and export your tablespaces, drop them, delete the datafiles at the OS level and recreate your tablespaces and import.

20 to 30 extents for a table is not excessive. You could use the compress option on your export and it will create an initial extent that will fit all your data. You will have to do your homework and figure out if you really want a large initial extent since there are many variables at the OS level and the size of your data files come into play. You also need to know some history of the application population the tablespace so you can come up with a valid next extent.

Any other question you can email me.

David Knollhoff

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Wed May 19 1999 - 18:02:40 CDT