Coalesce command for fragmentation

From: Vick <vramming_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 20:09:13 GMT

I read on Ari Kaplan's web page that you can use ALTER TABLESPACE xxx COALESCE
/
(where xxx is the appropriate tablespace_name)

to defragment tablespaces instead of exporting, dropping and importing. And that this can be done "on the fly" with users connected.

I inherited a 3 year old DB and it has never been tuned. It runs, but the tables have many extents in the 20's and 30's. This is extremely bad from what I have read so far.

Help would be great or, a re-direct to the source for further research material would also be appreciated.
Thanks very much,
Vickie

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Wed May 19 1999 - 15:09:13 CDT