Re: SQL server Vs Oracle - Off Topic / Access Combo Box

From: AJ <aljergensen_at_spamblock.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 17:11:32 -0400

Jim McCusker wrote in message <3739D949.29B3DC72_at_iname.com>...
>> <SNIP>
>> For instance, try to get a native
>> >MS-Access combo-box to not be editable (only being able to select items
>> >from the pull-down). It's not gonna happen. But you can do this with VB
>> >and VC++. Why?
>>
>> Because you obviously don't know much about Access... I'm not trying to
>
>I've been working on it (professionally and not) since 2.0 came out. I'd
>say I know a bit about it.
>
>> stomp on you, but you are just making yourself look foolish with comments
>> like this. Access has a LimitToList property for combo-boxes, a property
of
>> which you are apparently not aware. If you set it to "Yes" then you will
not
>> be able to enter anything other than what is in the list. It works and to
>> the best of my knowledge always has worked just as it was intended to.
>
>See my previous post. You can still type in the box, which is what I
>didn't want to happen.
>
>Jim
>--
> Jim McCusker | Class of '99, BA Computer Science & Cognitive Science
> jc012e@uhura.cc.rochester.edu | http://cif.rochester.edu/~fprefect
> ~Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it,
>poorly.~
> ~~Henry
>Spencer

If it's a big issue, why not just handle it in the keypress event? Check to see if there's an entry that matches what the user has started to enter and cancel if it's not there...

On the other hand you could just accept that all applications have limitations and variations on behavior. MS Access for example does a lot of the 'simple stuff' for you so you don't have to. Of course that means that it may not handle it exactly like you want, but that's the tradeoff of the tool.

AJ Received on Wed May 12 1999 - 16:11:32 CDT