Re: An oldie on Blocksize and Performance?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 11:27:58 -0400

Hi Ross,

    If the number of concurrent operations in a block exceeds the value you set in INITRANS Oracle will attempt to allocate additional space in the free space. The problem is the space allocation operation impacts your performance. If the number of concurrent operations in the block is already at MAXTRANS the session will have to wait until a current operation is completed before it can start.

    I can only repeat Kevin Loney's words on the subject:

        "If multiple transactions will simultaneously access the same data block, then the INITRANS parameter should be set to the number of transactions that will concurrently access a single data block."

                Oracle DBA Handbook, Oracle Press  page 121.  (Oracle 7
version)

regards

Jerry Gitomer