Re: Oracle vs SQL server

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 08:30:55 -0400

John Seitz wrote:

> Personally this is how I feel about the Oracle/NT debate. Customer outgrows Oracle
> on a NT box. Get a Unix box (which does a better job then NT for app servers), and
> put Oracle on it. No matter what NT people say, NT is not created for HUGE
> database. I don't think the reliability is there. So with Oracle you have a
> choice of what OS you run on. With SQLServer, you have to stick with NT.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I will always use NT for small to medium to even large DB. NT
> is easy to setup, and administrate. But I would never use SQL Server, because I
> like having a choice of what OS I want to run. I'm almost to the point of not
> using NT also. My Linux Oracle server so far rocks.
>
> John
>
> Masjid1 wrote:
>
> > This is not an attempt to start a flame war. Or a mine is better contest. I was
> > recently reading an article comparing the two databases and the author said
> > both programs were good and that each could be used various situations
> > interchangeably but the author said this is true in only 95% percent of the
> > cases. My question is what area (mainly the 5%) is beyond SQL server's
> > abilities. I apologise if this questions has been asked and answered. Thank you
> > in advance

I don't indulge in flame wars except when they are Micros*t related. I have
approximately 4 months of SQL Server experience and it was a traumatic one.
Server hangs because "log device fills", no such thing as spool command in iSQL,
so if your SQL procedure fails, you have to guess the line and the statement -
telepathy and the fortune telling are required abilities, huuuuuge memory
consumption, and deadlocks on a daily basis. With Oracle I don't know what is
deadlock, with SQL I've had at least twice a day. My SQL Server guru has told me
that "it's a bad design having 20 people accessing the same table at same time".
He was amazed when I told him my opinion of his IQ and some interesting theories
about his ancestors.
If I never see SQL server again, it will be too soon. --
Mladen Gogala Received on Fri May 07 1999 - 07:30:55 CDT