Re: Oracle vs SQL server

From: Richard Waymire <rwaymir_at_ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 11:50:01 -0700

So, your complaint is that you didn't set up SQL Server correctly (log device filling) and that's Microsoft's fault? It's pretty clear in the docs that you have to back up your transaction logs regularly. Deadlocks DO exist regardless of DBMS (I got plenty on Oracle and DB2), it's NOT a DBMS specific issue (other than configurations such as locking granularity). Your SQL "Guru" was clearly not correct, but you can't blame that on Microsoft either. Also, it sounds like you're working on SQL Server 6.5. Take a look at 7.0.

Take a look at Data General's 99.9% uptime guarantee with NT and SQL Server. Look at the customers running SQL Server 7.0 in production (at least 1 with 100.0% uptime since they deployed!).

Is Oracle better? Depends on what you want to do. Do they have more experience? Yes. But personnally I find DB2 to be the best, most reliable database. I think all 3 are doing good things.

--
Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE+Internet, MCSD