Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Randy Baker <rsbakerZ_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 14:23:31 -0400

Another angle not mentioned in the other (mostly anti-SQL Server) posts:

If you do many joins and are using the INNER JOIN or LEFT OUTER JOIN syntax, then you will have to rewrite any of your Access queries that use these. SQL Server will accept most Access SELECT statement syntax without modification.

If you are an MS shop (and it appears that you are based on your question), I would go with SQL Server, if only because all the Oracle stuff will appear totally foreign to what you are used to. SQL Server (particularly 7.0) is *much* easier to set up and administer. Oracle can certainly claim scalability advantages, but these aren't likely to apply to an upsized Access database, nor are they likely to apply to anything running on NT.

Randy