Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 08:50:31 -0400

To quote a posting in another thread:

"The recent Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q225141 of 27-APR-1999 says that executing a query with a union can cause an error.

The suggested workaround is to not use union. Instead one should create a stored procedure that inserts the records from each select into a temporary table, and then change the query to select from that temp table."

This type of bug is the reason that I, for one, prefer to have nothing to do with SQL Server. Here we have basic SQL functionality that doesn't work.

What else slipped past their "quality control"?

If I dare to use SQL Server am I going to come in one morning and discover that my database is scrambled beyond redemption and that my backups corrupted?

I make my living as a DBA. As such my first responsibility is to assure the integrity of the data in my databases. It really doesn't matter if an RDBMS is faster, cheaper, easier to manage or whatever if it cannot guarantee the integrity of the data it contains.

regards

Jerry Gitomer

---
Randy Baker wrote in message <#IL4rRyl#GA.179_at_cpmsnbbsa02>...
>Another angle not mentioned in the other (mostly anti-SQL Server) posts:
>
>If you do many joins and are using the INNER JOIN or LEFT OUTER JOIN
syntax,
>then you will have to rewrite any of your Access queries that use these.
SQL
>Server will accept most Access SELECT statement syntax without
modification.

>If you are an MS shop (and it appears that you are based on your question),
>I would go with SQL Server, if only because all the Oracle stuff will
appear
>totally foreign to what you are used to. SQL Server (particularly 7.0) is
>*much* easier to set up and administer. Oracle can certainly claim
>scalability advantages, but these aren't likely to apply to an upsized
>Access database, nor are they likely to apply to anything running on NT.
>
>Randy
>
>Ling wrote in message ...
>>Hi all,
>>Our project team is looking into upsizing a VB/Access database to either
MS