Package Invalidating Itself !!!

From: Chris Hamilton <ToneCzar_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:55:00 GMT

I've got a PL/SQL package called STANDINGS that I wrote that does the following, via various procedures in the package, and runs in this order.

0. WRAPPER -- runs Steps 1 through 3.

  1. REFRESH_SNAP_PORFTOLIO -- Refresh a snapshot called WSSPORTFOLIO.
  2. CALC_STANDINGS -- Update a number of tables, via queries to the WSSPORTFOLIO snapshot (refreshed in Step 1).
  3. REFRESH_SNAP_RANKINGS -- Refresh a snapshot called WSSRANKINGS based on a query of the tables reset in Step 2.

The problem is that when Step 1 runs, it invalidates the STANDINGS package, I guess because the status of the WSSPORTFOLIO snapshot has changed. So then Step 2 fails because the package is now invalid.

Is there a workaround to this, short of running Step 1 either separately from the WRAPPER procedure or in a non-packaged procedure, then recompiling any invalidated objects, and continuing?

Chris

Christopher Hamilton
Oracle DBA -- Wall Street Sports
chris_at_wallstreetsports.com