Re: Oracle 8i Installation

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 08:59:10 -0700

Error: ORA 12570
Text: TNS:packet reader failure

Cause: An error occurred during a data receive. Action: Not normally visible to the user. For further details, turn
        on tracing and reexecute the operation. If error persists, contact
        Worldwide Customer Support.

There are a number of things that can cause this error. We need the trace information to determine which one it is.

HTH. Pete

fsong_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> That's the problem, The release notes said with 96M ram you can have a
> typical install, but i'v been struggled for 2 days to get a installation
> done, still no luck, on 128M ram no problem though.
>
> By the way any idea what caused ORA-12570 TNS packet reader failure.
>
> fps
>
> In article <7fof4i$2vv$1_at_hirame.wwa.com>,
> "Charles L. Robinson" <datec_at_wwa.com> wrote:
> > I had no problem with the Oracle installer, in fact, thought the program to
> > be well designed and user friendly. However, I have heard from knowledgeable
> > friends that you need a *large* amount of free memory to avoid problems.
> >
> > I am running a 256 meg 400 MHz Pentium 2 under NT4.0 service pack 4.
> >
> > I hope this helps.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie Robinson
> > Datec Inc.
> > 333 W. Wacker Drive, Suite #1040
> > Chicago, IL 60606-1225
> > datec_at_wwa.com
> > Declan Smith <D.Smith_at_itss.nerc.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Has anyone else had a nightmare time trying to install 8i.
> > > From my experience the new Java Installer runs so slowly as to bring me
> > > close to violence. Even when it does eventually decide to begin
> > > installation it freezes with no warning or reason I can find. I have tried
> > 5
> > > times now and everytime got to a different point before a crash or freeze.
> > >
> > > The point of this message is to find out if mine is an isolated, machine
> > > related problem or if it is more wide spread, and if the later is true, to
> > > shout at Oracle Corp for supplying duff software.
> > >
> > > Dec.

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                             Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA