Re: Oracle on Sun hardware

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:56:36 +0900

Harry Boswell wrote:

> For those of you running Oracle on Sun, and
> supporting more than 50 or so concurrent users,
> what hardware are you running on, and is it
> dedicated to Oracle? I'm goin to be speccing out
> a box in the next couple of months, and I would
> like some input from somebody in addition to the
> Sun reps. It will be supporting somewhere between
> 50 and 100 users concurrently, possibly rising to
> 150-200 over the next 2-3 years, client/server
> front-end for now, web access to come later.
>
> I know there's lots of variables involved, but I
> would like a starting point.
>
> Thanks,
> Harry
>
> --
> Harry Boswell hboswell_at_netdoor.com
> USDA Zone 8 (Mississippi USA)
> Home Page: http://www2.netdoor.com/~hboswell

We run two Enterprise 6000's in parallel server mode, each with 512M of RAM (which is a little underdone)...Disks are the key thing - even with only 512M RAM, its IO rates that make (or break) you...

We recently upgraded some of our disks from older 5400rpm disks to 10000rpm disks - and the performance improvement was significant

HTH --

Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology
Perth, Western Australia
"Never wrestle a pig - you both get dirty and the pig likes it..." Received on Wed Apr 14 1999 - 20:56:36 CDT