Re: ORA-1632 max extents reached ..

From: Glen Upreti <Glen.Upreti_at_NOSPAMnau.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 11:57:45 -0700

  1. alter all of the objects max extents unlimited and alter the tablespaces maxextents unlimited.
  2. yes absolutely. I am a strong believer that you should not be using tablespace defaults for most objects created in a tablespace. Each object should be handled as an individual object. You should specify the storage parameters by object. Example: create table blah (col1 number10) storage (initial 10m <--a calculated value based on how many rows there are and I usually try to attemp to account for 3-12months worth of growth --> next 100k .......

The only time I let developers or myself use the TS defaults for storage is when I create a table to test something that I intend to drop or they can convince me that the table will not grow into multiple extents. And also you may not have an initial & next of 5k if that is smaller than your db_block_size.

c) you could resolve this by reorging using export/import, or create a table as select * from the other table, with an initial extent large enough to fit the whole table.
I hope this helps,
glen

rsvcool_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi,
> i have an application where I create a tablespace ,
> defaukt tablespace to a particular user ..
> The way I create this tablespace is
>
> create tablespace ts_name
> datafile 'ts_path/ts_filename'
> size ts_size
> default storage (initial 5K next 5K pctincrease 50) ONLINE;
>
> Now after using this for awhile populating thsi tablespace with tables
> and data, one particlaur table in this tablespace
> is giving me the error
> ORA-1632 max extents reached ..
>
> Now my questions are
>
> a) How do I rectify this problem now on this existing tablespace
> b) Is the method by which I create this tablespace potentially
> allowing this situation to occur ?
> c) I checked the oracle cause and action on this error
> and it says recreate, can someone tell me how I can recreate this
> and still retain all my data, I am assuming create new tablepsace,
> , assign the same user to this default tablespace, what about the the data
> though ??? sorry of these questions are silly , just want to learn to do it
> right ...
>
> Thanks
> RSV
> rsvcool_at_yahoo.com

Senior Oracle DBA
Northern Arizona University
Phone (520)523-8393 Fax(520)523-7407 Glen.Upreti_at_NOSPAMnau.edu