Re: Startup of DB instance (7.3, WinNT 4.1)

From: Lothar Armbrüster <lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de>
Date: 09 Apr 99 20:15:25 +0100

Gerhard Peter wrote on 09-Apr-99 20:06:29:
>Hello,

>I'm running an Oracle DB version 7.3 on WinNT 4.0.

>Problem: The database instance ORCL is stopped and I cannot start it.

>Situation:
>- All Oracle services are started (e.g. OracleServiceOrcl,
>OracleStartOrcl)

>- The instance manager shows the following information:
> SID Status Startup
> ORCL
> Service Started Automatic
> Instance Stopped Automatic
> This reflects the options set in the edit window ("Startup after
> creation"). However, the options are "greyed out", i.e., I cannot
> select one of the check boxes.

Have you tried to start the instance using svrmgr23?

>- Executing the file startorcl.ora by hand does not help either.

I think you tried to execute strtorcl.cmd. This file normally contains a call of oradim73 which is the command line interface of the instance manager. Look into strtorcl.cmd and see if the call is correct. (I had experienced the the file was empty after dabbling around with the instance manager.)
If the file contains a call to oradim73 that seems to be correct, there must be a log file.
I think it's oradim73.log and is located at \orant\rdbms73.

>I've run into this mess after trying to add a new database.

Well, just a guess...
Maybe the -pfile parameter in strtorcl.cmd got messed up as you tried to create a new database.
Normally, it looks like -pfile d:\orant\database\initorcl.ora. The password is a candidate to be screwed up too...

>So what to do?

>Thanks a lot,
>Gerhard

Hope that helps,
Lothar

--

Lothar Armbrüster       | lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de
Schulstr. 12            | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de