Re: Checking Size of the Stored procedures

From: <markp7832_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 17:58:19 GMT

In article <7ech7b$bq9$1_at_miri.tele.dk>,   "Søren Klintrup" <bigchief_at_aub.dk> wrote:
> I'm a newly started DBA, i've just attended the oracle DBA course .. a Great
> course...
>
> The next monday i started to look at our database (wich was set up by the
> guy before me who knew nothing about oracle, as me :).
> And in all my horror i see that the System tablespace spans 1.7 Gigabyte!!!
> (yup that is 1700 Megabytes)..
>
> At the course i was told that 60 megabytes should be more than enough for
> most systems ... and 300 megabytes for a developers system .... ok .. i
> would have gone for 300-400 megs ... but 1.7 Gigabytes ??
>
> it seems that the stored procedures takes a lot of the space, but i'm not
> sure ... that is what i want to check ...
>
> I just did a full export of the database and the stored procedures took over
> 95% of the export time ..
>
> The database is not in production yet, so i can close it as much as i want
> .... but as far as i've been told theres still some data that has been
> transferred to the database ..
>
> How do i check the size of the Stored Procedures ??
> How do i check how which Stored Procuderes is installed ?
> How do i check the size of the tables in the system tablespace ?
> If none of this helps .. how do i check whats making the system tablespace
> so large ..
>
> /Søren

There were already two replies, but I do not think either really answered your question. I believe that the package source is actually stored in sys.idl_ub1$ and idl_ub2$. The Oracle Designer product install actually instructs you to modify the storage for these two tables as part of the install, and that system has a lot of packaged code. Please do not make any changes, or attemp to re-org any sys owned tables except under the advise of Oracle support.

May I suggest that you look at sys.dba_extents to see how much space is actually allocated to objects for tablespace system and rebuild your database allocating two to four times this amount for growth, Oracle auditing, etc.... You should also verify that no user objects were allocated to this tablespace as they should be moved elsewhere, and no user other than sys uses system as their temporary tablespace.

Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --