Using a local function while updating a remote database

From: <rdelon_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 18:01:52 GMT

Hi, I'm trying to update a remote database. The problem is I want to use a local function. The command looks like this:

update table_at_REMOTE_LINK set c=local_function(c);

I couldn't make it work so far, even though the two following commands are working fine :
select local_function(c) from table_at_REMOTE_LINK; update table_at_REMOTE_LINK set c=c;

I first got the error message "set global_names to true", which I did. Then I got the error message "connection description for remote database not found", which is obviously not the case, since the two other commands are working.

I'm running Oracle8 with SQL*NETV2 on the local database, and Oracle7 with SQL*NETV1 on the remote one. Both machines are running AIX.

Can anyone help me figure that out ?

I would also like to know what really happens when I do such an update (if it was working). The scenario I imagine is the following :
- The local database logs onto the remote one and selects the data,

Is that what happens ?

Thanks.
Remi