Re: Oracle8 slow connect times

From: <ahasanas_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 14:37:42 GMT

Hi,

From your observation 'tried Oracle's and Microsofts ODBC drivers plus some other connection methods (OCI)' it seems that initial connection set-up is taking too much time. If it were a problem with ODBC you could connect with OCI in reasonable time.

Though you did not mention, I think you are using host naming method for Net8 connection. Host naming method is slow unless you have a DNS server for address resolution (again I am assuming your protocol is TCP/IP). You may try ping with hostname and with IP address. If pinging with hostname takes too much time you are sure that not oracle but address resolution is taking the time.

I would like to follow your problem and solution. My mail address is spectrum_at_bangla.net.

Asif Hasan