dropping an index-enforced constraint on 7.1.5.2.3

From: Laith Suheimat <l.suheimat_at_mdx.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 08:34:34 +0100

Hello,

I am trying to resize an index that has become fragmented on one of the tables in a 7.1..5.2.3 database on AlphaVMS 6.2.

The problem is that this index is actually the primary key constraint, and there are foreign key references to this PK on other tables.

I disabled the constraint using DISABLE CONSTRAINT CASCADE to disable the FKs as well. The PK index was also dropped - I checked in DBA_INDEXES.

However, when I came to recreate the PK index with the new size, using ALTER TABLE tab_name ADD CONSTRAINT PRIMARY KEY USING INDEX, Oracle complained that the PK already existed on the table.

Thinking about it now, maybe I should try a DROP PRIMARY KEY pk_name CASCADE, instead of the disable.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Laith Suheimat
l.suheimat_at_mdx.ac.uk Received on Wed Apr 07 1999 - 02:34:34 CDT