Re: Full backup after shutdown immediate

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 18:37:01 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Roy Brokvam" <roy.brokvam_at_conax.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 17:08:17 +0200, you wrote:

>Dear Oracle friends,
>
>The Oracle7 Server Administrator's Guide (which I got with my 7.1.3
>distibution) says that I cannot rely on a full backup if the database has
>not been shut down with normal priority. In particular, it says I cannot use
>shutdown immediate.
>
>The 7.3.4 Online Generic Documentation CD-ROM says: To perform a Full
>Backup, first shut down the database with normal or immediate priority...
>
>Has this changed somewhere between 7.1.3 and 7.3.4? Is the 7.3.4 text
>correct?

thats a documentation bug introduced in the 7.0.16 documentation set and corrected in the 7.2 documentation. It is OK to back up a shutdown immediate instance.

If you are still concerned, shutdown immediate + startup enabling restricted sessions so others cannot log in + shutdown normal will get you your clean shutdown.

>Thanks in advance.
>

>Regards,
>
>Roy Brokvam
>roy.brokvam_at_conax.com

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Apr 06 1999 - 13:37:01 CDT