Backup and Recovery Certification Exam

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:48:09 -0500

   A strange thing happened when I took the exam yesterday. Out of sixty questions I had read about 10% would be on export/import. And there were six questions on that topic.

   Three of them were specific questions about the "direct" parameter in export. One question involved "direct" in a more general way. There were no questions on import. There were no questions on export modes. There were no questions on complete/cumulative/incremental backups. And there were no questions on what is exportable. So the test really made no effort to find out what I knew about export/import.

   My guess is that there is a large database of questions on each subject and a certain number in each area are selected randomly for the test. So you can get this bunching in certain areas.

   Has anyone else had this experience?    If my guess is right, do you think random selection of questions provides a better test than one where a knowledgable person picked the questions?

Van Received on Thu Apr 01 1999 - 17:48:09 CST