Re: Q:How to setup a second database

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:41:45 -0500

    I would check to see that your listener.ora, tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files have the necessary connection information. When setting up your TCP/IP protocol set of statements, do two cascading sets. The first set normally uses port 1521 (not 1512) and the second one port 1526. You should also have Oracle services and OracleStart services up and running for both databases, although it sounds like you do.

    If you created either database and then changed its server IP address after creation, there are other .ora files you may need to change by hand. Search for *.ora files *.cfg files and *.ini files which were updated around the same time you changed the IP address.

Van

Jan Willem Knop wrote in message <7dr21n$htns$1_at_reader3.wxs.nl>...
>Can this be caused by using two instances on the same TCP/IP port/socket?
>I would suggest to change the socket number to som other value (outside the
>'well known range of TCP/IP) in the .ORA files both on server and client
and
>try to connect again. Please note that you will have to start at least the
>instacnce that has a different port number.
>
>Hope this helps!
>Jan Willem
>Bernd Maierhofer wrote in message <7dqm8j$ard$1_at_orudios.magnet.at>...
>>My first database works perfectly well, in connecting to a second one, I
>>fail. maybe someone of you can tell me, what I am missing:
>>Server: SQLSERVER, 198.12.1.2, WinNT, Oracle 8.05
>>Database 1: Name: DB_A, SID: ORCA, Protokoll TCP/IP, Port 1512
>>Database 2: Name: DB_B, SID: ORCB, Protokoll TCP/IP, Port 1512
>>Both NT services are up and running.
>>
>>Connecting to DB_B fails with: TNS listener could not resolve given SID.
If