Re: Help: Settle an argument regarding EXTENTS

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:56:45 -0500

    Your DBA's right and he's wrong. For years Oracle's advice was to avoid throwing extents, and even to rebuild objects once they'd exceeded five extents. But just recently they've come around on this. In fact you can go to their metalink site and download a current white paper in which they recommend not worrying about extents (within limits - you probably don't want to have 10,000). What you do have to worry about is chained-rows. Your DBA can help there by using the proper storage parameters for your objects.

    A single extent of 60gig is probably not a good idea.     He probably has always built tables as he says, and that was standard thinking until maybe six months ago.

Van