Re: Legato's savegrp command/ Veritas FS + Quick IO backup question

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_toneline.n-o-s-p-a-m.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:30:58 +0000

vlysenko_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to run Legato's savegrp command from a cron job as oracle.
> But I can't run it as oracle because of "You are not authorized to run this
> command" error. Is there any way for me to run it as oracle?

Why not just run the whole cron job as root - that's what I do. I just 'su - oracle' for my RMAN scripts and run everything else as root.

Still, as regards the oracle failure - have you added 'oracle' as a user for the LSM server via nwadmin, like it says in the manual? That is probably the cause of the error...

> Another question:
>
> Does any one have experience of backing up the database that resides on
> Veritas filesystem with quick I/O? (Quick I/O is a feature of Veritas FS that
> allows to use files as raw devices) Do you use RMAN for that?

Well, all my Oracle8 datawarehoues are on raw disk, although I use AIX. RMAN works just fine with Legato and raw devices, and is very fast. Regular 'save' commands on filesystem files run 4MB/s, Legato + RMAN + raw disk runs at 8.5MB/s to a DLT drive.

Steve Phelan.