Re: Calling all Server Gurus

From: <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 17:06:43 GMT

As one of the other said, we need to know your OS and release. The answer is different for DOS vs NT and for 7 vs 8.

In DOS/Windows 8 use svrmgrxxxx (find the exact one in ORAWIN95/bin) In NT, you can use the Services applet in the control panel to start ServiceOracle and ServiceStartORACLE (not quite the names, but it will be obvious). You can also start ORACLETNS80 (again, not quite it, but obvious).

You should be able to connect in either svrmgr30 (assuming V8) or SQL*PLUS using system/manager (the default login and password from installation).

In article <36d7d6bd.782963_at_news.paradise.net.nz>,   actionis_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have installed Oracle 8 on my machine about 1/2 an hour ago.
>
> The problem I am having is:-
>
> 1) most proberly easy to solve for you, but not me
>
> 2) how do I start the server ???
>
> I have a couple of years experience of coding SQL to Access DB through
> a VB interface. As you may or may not know, Access does all the work
> for you.
>
> I want to run a oracle database on my PC as a standalone.
> I have figured out the connection has something to do with sqlnet.ora
> & tnsnames.ora files. But my Oracle experience is limited to half an
> hour and I have no clue to how the files should be coded
>
> I have tried to connect with Net* Assistant with the following info
> tcp 127.0.0.1
> port 1521
> SID ORCL
>
> But the test cannot connect.
>
> SQL Plus won't login (No suprise)
>
> I thank you for any help to get this started
>
> Action

Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
MPiR, Inc.
502-451-7404