Re: MULTIPLE DATABASES ON ORACLE8

From: D.M. <xyzzy_at_billthecat.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 10:55:18 -0600

In article <7ba36c$aha$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, vpenmatsa_at_hotmail.com says...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having Oracle 8.0.5 on Windows NT ....
>
> I created a new database (apart from the default ORCL database) & gave it a
> SID = 'ATMD' , I started the required 'OracleServiceATMD' & 'OracleStartATMD'
> services & also made sure that my TNSnames.ora & Listener.ora file have the
> changes to accomodate this new database . I'm able to connect to this
> database through Instance Manager , Security Manager & also SQLWorkSheet ,
> but when I try to connect to Svrmgr30 , it gives me -- 'ORA-error TNS -
> could not connect to destination ' ............
>
> So, can U give me any ideas on this ..... ?
>
> also, do we need to have separate 'TNSnames.ora', 'Listener.ora' or a
> separate Listener service for this new database ... ?
>
> Thanx , by .

Just because the services start up does not mean the database did. There are a couple of ways to check it. Start the database up manually via svrmgr or more easily check the oradim80.log file in \orant\rdbms80 to see what messages oradim80 generated during the startup. These will usually give you some clues.

Mike Mattix
dmmattix_at_earthlink.net Received on Sun Feb 28 1999 - 10:55:18 CST