Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: Import/Export small database with spacing contraints!! Not enough disk space! And can't use vi to modify the exported schema!

Re: Import/Export small database with spacing contraints!! Not enough disk space! And can't use vi to modify the exported schema!

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 22:02:58 GMT

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 01:45:20 GMT, mleung_at_earthlink.net (m.L.) wrote:

>First, I want to thanks Steve and couple others who have sent me
>emails regarding my problems.
>
>Now, I still have couple questions:
>
>1) I typed : imp user/password show=y full=y file=**dmp >
>outputfile, and it worked basically except that the output wasn't
>directed to the outputfile.
>I had to type: imp user/password show=y full=y file=**dmp
>log=outputfile to get any output.
>
>It is kind of strange because I would assume that the show=y option
>will change the results like standard output.
>
>How do I re-direct the output without using log=outputfile option?

The terminal output of the imp/exp is mostly not comming from standard output stream (stdout), it comes from standard error (stderr). So either redirect the stderr to the outputfile (2>outputfile) or redirect both stderr and stdout to outputfile (1>&1 or something simmilar, depending on the shell you are using).

>thanks. you guys are the best
>Michael Leung

HTH,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Tue Feb 23 1999 - 16:02:58 CST