Re: How to Fire a VB4 event From Oracle 7.3 Server?

From: Marcus N Hofer <markus_at_tk136248.telekabel.at>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 15:12:05 GMT

hi keith,

   it seems rather uncommon to me that You want the database to raise something
in Your client :-), but You could consider some polling loop mechanism in Your
client app checking that table for updates. probably this is the simplest and
therefore best approach for Your problem.

     if You really want to fire events outside 7.x server You will have to use
1) a database trigger, 'on update' in Your case and 2) the DBMS_PIPE package,
the trigger writing into the pipe and some external daemon process listening on the
pipe. oracle7.3.x and higher provides also EXTERNAL_PROCEDURES to call programs outside the database with PL/SQL. detailed information You find in PL/SQL users guide and reference.

   I have not the slightest idea if this could be done with VB4 and I do definitly NOT
recommend it. try the polling loop,

cheers
--marcus

Ujvary schrieb in Nachricht <918524418.750456_at_neptune.uniserve.ca>...