Re: questions about "system" and temporary tablespaces

From: Peter Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 14:40:40 -0800

SYS and SYSTEM are set to the SYSTEM tablespace for both their default and temporary tablespaces, probably for more historic reasons than anything else. The reason that I'm thinking of is that not too long ago, most people did not use the installer to create databases. Under that configuration, it's impossible for Oracle to say there will ALWAYS be a TEMP_DATA tablespace. Maybe it's more likely that you can say that now, but I think it's still valid to assume nothing but the most basic installation - a SYSTEM tablespace and nothing else.

DBSNMP is the user created for the Intelligent Agent to do its work in Enterprise Manager. If you don't use OEM at all, you can probably safely drop it. If nothing else though, I'd change its password so no-one can use it as a back door to the database.

HTH. Pete

kal121_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> I just installed Oracle 8 (custom). When I query the dba_users view, I see
> that system and sys have as their temporary tablespace the system tablespace.
> Somehow I don't think that is a good idea. I went ahead and changed their
> temp tablespace to a temp table I called "Temporary_Data".
>
> My question is, why did the installation give sys and system the system
> tablespace for their temporary tablespace? Is it because I changed the name of
> the original default temp table during the installation, and hence, could not
> find it?
>
> Also, who is the DBSNMP user?
>
> Thanks

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                              Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager            Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education               (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA