Re: Suitability of Oracle for 24 hour by 7 day operations

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 21:15:29 -0600

We also have HPUX. We have had Oracle 7 databases up for months at a time. Hot backups and ARCHIVELOG mode provide major protection. Oracle redo logs are both Oracle duplexed and hardwared mirrored. All data files are mirrored.

We use HP's MC ServiceGuard to implement failover support. If a database server machine fails, the alternate machine grabs the disk and IP address and restarts the database. Back in business 10 minutes.

This recovery time suits us, as long as the frequency remains low.

If you cannot stand that long a recovery, Oracle's Parallel Server lets multiple machines share access to the same database. If one dies, the users move to another server machine.