Re: Any experiences with datafiles on RAID 5 with cache

From: Jeff Hunter <jeffh_at_btitelecom.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:15:55 -0800

We use a Sun A3000 with 64M cache on two controllers. You must be carefull with what you put on the cached controllers because, as we all know, power can go away at any time. I have no problem putting data on a cached controller because we have redundant power supplies, redundant UPS, and the A3000 has an internal battery as well. However, your situation may be different...

The cache definitely speeds up write operations in our environment. We get at least 3x the throughput on writes with caching turned on.