Re: Enterprise MANAGER !!!1

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 20:30:27 +0100

Hi Ricardo,
I will try to assist without coming over (though I live in the Netherlands) as my Portuguese is non-existent. Currently I don't have a chat app or ICQ, so let's start with e-mail. If you know how to get ICQ or chat, please tell me. The first question is: is your intelligent / stupid agent running. This is a piece of snmp compatible software that should be on the database server and is started with lsnrctl. You can verify this in lsnrctl by issuing the command dbsnmp_status. The commands dbsnmp_start and dbsnmp_stop are self-explanatory. The intelligent agent works with the tcp/ip protocol only, and it should run on port 1748 and 1754. If your are running 7.3.3 or higher, it should be configured automatically. Search for snmp_ro.ora and snmp_rw.ora. They should be in the orant\network\agent directory.
Then afaik in the tnsnames.ora of the system running EM there should be a line AGENT_<nodename of the server> = followed by the usual host = port = 1748 (in this case) rigmarole. BTW I forgot, the listener.ora on the server has a few special requirements:
all KEYWORDS are supposed to be in UPPERCASE, and there should be only one IPC block.
Theoretically speaking your EM system should now be able to discover the databases.
Let's do it in steps and see whether we are able to get this up and running first.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA