Re: Unix or Win/NT

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 20:25:54 +0100

1)
Main reason to prefer Unix would be scalability. NT supports 4 processors max and 512 Mb of memory. Also (though I haven't seen any benchmarks) I would assume Unix has less overhead, while NT is inherently a windowed system (OK, I have seen you can undo this advantage by running X-windows client on a system that is also a database server) Main reason to prefer NT: Unix definitely won't run without a system administrator and don't think someone with a PC background is capable of administering Unix. If your entire environment is PC-bound and you don't need the scalability, choose for NT

2)
and Oracle 7 is, and Oracle 6 was, and Oracle 5 etc.

In a previous job we resorted to a tric to resolve this. We badly needed a sort key (some 30000 product descriptions). We added a redundant denormalized column with the first 12 characters of the original column capitalized. This column was indexed. Worked well.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA