Re: Oracle8 on Linux Installation Q

From: Larry Morley <lmorley_at_albany.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 16:54:00 -0500

xux_at_informa.caltech.edu wrote:

> Larry, I had the same problem in creating a database. Could you post or
> email me (xux_at_its.caltech.edu) how you did it? What is the script that
> creates the database? Thanks a lot!

Sure, no problem. First, I didn't have to reconfigure the kernel (the SHMMAX default for RedHat 5.2 seems to work fine) or reinstall Linux & create new partitions. Also, the ulimit (again, for RedHat 5.2) seems to be OK also (mine's currently "unlimited").

I installed everything to /usr/oracle; my
ORACLE_HOME is /usr/oracle/app/oracle/product/8.0.5 and
ORACLE_BASE is /usr/oracle/app/oracle.  My SID is 'o8lx' (Oracle 8
LinuX).

I ended up with two scripts post-install:

$ORACLE_BASE/admin/o8lx/create/crdbo8lx.sql and $ORACLE_BASE/admin/o8lx/create/crdb2o8lx.sql. I had to modify them so the password for internal (default == sa) was correct (it wasn't). I think the pfile ($ORACLE_BASE/admin/o8lx/pfile/inito8lx_0.ora) was ok; though there's three files in the pfile directory: configo8lx.ora, inito8lx.ora and inito8lx_0.ora. There's no diff's between the last two; one's probably from one of my numerous install- ation attempts.

The scripts bombed until out of sheer frustration I tried "SHUTDOWN ABORT". I did:

svrmgrl (that's an "L")
SHUTDOWN ABORT;

@/usr/oracle/app/oracle/admin/o8lx/create/crdbo8lx.sql;
@/usr/oracle/app/oracle/admin/o8lx/create/crdb2o8lx.sql;
@/usr/oracle/app/oracle/product/8.0.5/rdbms/admin/catalog.sql;
@/usr/oracle/app/oracle/product/8.0.5/rdbms/admin/catproc.sql;

I may have had to reconnect after the 2nd script as internal/sa. After that, I edited my tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora and listener.ora files so they contained nothing but TCP (nothing else worked correctly). Then, I stopped and started the listener w/lsnrctl:

lsnrctl
stop listener
quit

lsnrctl
start listener
quit

All in one step would probably be fine; the thing produced so many errors the first few times (before I cut the .ora files way back) that I wanted to see them.

I wrote a quick script to bring up the database:

#!/bin/bash
svrmgrl <<!
connect internal/sa
startup
exit

I later found something similar installed. Don't remember where, but it's there.

If you want to use sqlplus, remember to run the pupbld.sql script as 'SYSTEM'. There's an executable (pupbld) script which apparently does this, but again, I found it after I'd already done it.

Let's see... I had to change the first line of all the shell scripts to use /bin/sh or /bin/bash (same thing on my system), and when I ran the root.sh script after installing everything, I had to first chmod it, and ignore the warning that ORACLE_HOME was'nt the same as the home directory for "oracle". What's happening is that the user id (ORACLE_OWNER) is "oracle" (by default; you can change it), and it's looking at the /etc/passwd file to see if the oracle user has the same home directory as what ORACLE_HOME is set to. After reading through the script, I ignored it, and it hasn't caused any problems. The oracle user's home dir is /home/oracle; I think the important thing is that it has one more than anything :).

I think that's it... Let me know if I forgot anything or if you need tnsnames.ora, listener.ora etc. examples that work, what envirmonment stuff I've got set, etc.

The good news:
I can successfully connect to my Linux instance from NT (even w/the Enterprise Manager - oh yeah, I didn't install the "intelligent agent" on Linux, and use "manual service discovery" in E.M. - it seems to work better, esp. since I have instances that aren't always up) and the other way around, too. Since the entry in my sqlnet config for my NT database is "DEV", the command to connect to it w/sqlplus is: sqlplus user/password_at_DEV. This threw me for a couple minutes since 'sqlplus -?' says to use

   sqlplus [<user>][/<password>] [@host]

As with most things, I kept trying different command lines until I got it to work. I finally tried this one when I thought 'how the heck does it know what SID I want to use, anyway - setting ORACLE_SID every time would be a pain in the butt'. This works on my NT, '9x clients, and Linux machines. Haven't tried <-> other OS's yet, but I'm pretty confident at this point that it'll work fine. ODBC from Win32 (32-bit) to the Linux instance also works fine. That was a *really* important to me, as one of our products uses it extensively and I would be screaming right now if it hadn't. Check out "http://www.datademand.com", if you're curious. I've got a more recent demo version than the one there (I'll probably put it up in the next day or two), but let me know if you're interested in the meantime.

A lot of this stuff (what files did what, etc.) I gleaned from postings here and from info people sent me r.e. questions I posted, when I was trying to get Oracle8 EE set up on NT. Ain't newsgroups and information exchange wonderful?

Good luck; let me know how you make out. - Larry Morley Received on Sun Dec 27 1998 - 15:54:00 CST