Re: O/S & Oracle upgrade

From: MotoX <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:43:20 GMT

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:11:07 GMT, hansenrd_at_cadvision.com wrote:

>Our company is planning to move away from Oracle 7.2 and Irix 5.3 to
>Solaris and a new and improved version of Oracle. I am looking for
>answers to some pretty basic upgrade questions :
>
>1. Are there any pitfalls to moving to Solaris? Is there a
>recommended version?

Try 2.6.

>2. What version of Oracle to upgrade to? Release 7.3.? or 8.? ?

See below.

>3. If we upgrade to 8.? is there a problem with using a 7.3 client on
>the desktop?

No. Works fine. We use it all the time on Oracle 8.0.4 ad 8.0.5. But check if any of the tools/apps you use impose additional dependencies of their own.

>Our userbase is primarily a query-only community of 100-300 with only
>about 5-10 people actually inserting data.

In which case use Oracle8. It has a lot of nice new features for dw (query) type databases. Partitioning (indexes and tables), index only tables, fast full scans, better bitmap index support, better CBO plans, etc.

Still, look before you leap, and get some Oracle8 training.

>Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

MotoX. Received on Tue Dec 15 1998 - 14:43:20 CST