Re: O/S & Oracle upgrade

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 23:33:32 GMT

In article <3675df9c.109576652_at_news.cadvision.com>,   hansenrd_at_cadvision.com wrote:
> Our company is planning to move away from Oracle 7.2 and Irix 5.3 to
> Solaris and a new and improved version of Oracle. I am looking for
> answers to some pretty basic upgrade questions :
>
> 1. Are there any pitfalls to moving to Solaris? Is there a
> recommended version?

No, I actually perfer Solaris. I would highly recommend Solaris 2.6 Release 5/98.

> 2. What version of Oracle to upgrade to? Release 7.3.? or 8.? ?

It all depends on you. If you chose Oracle 7, then go for version 7.3.4.0.1. If you want Oracle 8, then go to 8.0.5. Oracle 8 has new features that Oracle 7 doesn't have, such as partitioned tables and indexes.

> 3. If we upgrade to 8.? is there a problem with using a 7.3 client on
> the desktop?

If you are referring to Schema Manager, etc. Then my answer is not really. You cannot do Oracle 8 administration using Oracle 7.3 client software. You can only use the client software to monitor the database. I must also tell you that Oracle states that your Database and client should be of the same version.

> Our userbase is primarily a query-only community of 100-300 with only
> about 5-10 people actually inserting data.

How lucky. Can I work for you?

> Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Satar
Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin
Advanced Enterprise Solutions
(949) 756-0588