O/S & Oracle upgrade

From: <hansenrd_at_cadvision.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:11:07 GMT

Our company is planning to move away from Oracle 7.2 and Irix 5.3 to Solaris and a new and improved version of Oracle. I am looking for answers to some pretty basic upgrade questions :

  1. Are there any pitfalls to moving to Solaris? Is there a recommended version?
  2. What version of Oracle to upgrade to? Release 7.3.? or 8.? ?
  3. If we upgrade to 8.? is there a problem with using a 7.3 client on the desktop?

Our userbase is primarily a query-only community of 100-300 with only about 5-10 people actually inserting data.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided. Received on Mon Dec 14 1998 - 22:11:07 CST