Databases on drives other than Oracle Home

From: <murf_at_cychilds.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:47:19 GMT

This is in regards to an Oracle8
Enterprise NT installation.

Here at Cy Childs Software Developers we have nobody that we consider to be a DBA, but, we are trying to get Oracle8 Enterprise for NT up and running. This may go beyond installation support so please forward this e-mail if it does. I am confident that I have gotten Oracle8 Enterprise Edition installed properly and let the Oracle Home default to C:\orant\ and selected the none option for building a database. I would like the Oracle to reside on the C:\ drive and its data to reside on the D:\ (just another hard drive on our machine). I have created a database on the D:\ drive but I have no concept on what I need to do to configure things to be able to use the enterprise manager. Do I need to go out to DOS and use the server manager? What are all the issues that I may confront by trying to do this? Is this a rare case, or do many entities install Oracle at one place and have thedata reside in another?

If you can point me in the right direction so that I can choose Enterprise Manager and enter a username of "administrator" and a password of my choosing I would be forever thankful. I realize this is a tall order, but we really need the help.

Thanks!

Mike Murphy