Oracle 8 updates from flat files - how

From: Greg Drew <gdrew_at_computer.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:12:32 -0500

I have an Oracle8 database which needs to be periodically updated with records pulled from an ASCII flat file provided by an external source. I've about gone blind perusing the SQL*Loader documentation, and can only find ways to append new records. Unfortunately, the file contains both new records and updates to existing ones. I can of course write code to parse the data and then query the DB to find out if the record exists, and then insert or update as appropriate, but my intuition tells me that there must be a better way. Does anyone have any ideas? --GDD Received on Tue Dec 15 1998 - 09:12:32 CST