Re: Interesting Challange

From: David Lord <lordd_at_csi.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:34:19 +0100

There's another issue -- legal issue. If system running Personal Oracle supports
connections from any other machine than running that instance, as far as I know it is a license violation.

This is an interesting point, although the system will be accessed extremely rarely in this case the fact that one one person can use the system at a time is not seen as a problem.

Technically... Im affraid that on NT DOS-mode SQL*Forms simple cannot connect
to any database even if it runs in the command prompt.

I'm not clear on this point. If you mean that SQL*Forms 3.0 will not ever run on a Windows NT client then you are wrong. I know this because I have had it working fine on NT and 95 cleints for over a year. No problem. However if you mean Forms 3.0 will not work on Windows based clients with SQL*net 2 then I am ulmost certain that you are correct. This is really what I need to know.

Can Forms 3.0 run on a Windows client (against any database version) with the forms in a windows based OH? I think not and I'd really interested if I'm wrong because I don't like turning away work however impossible it may seem.

But if SQL*Forms would be still running on HP-UX, there's no problem to connect via SQL*Net 2 to at least _workgroup_ server running on NT. I saw such mixture working very well, however I don't advise it as a very good
solution. You must have SQL*Net 2 and protocol adapters/s/ installed on ORACLE_HOME containing SQL*Forms.

I've have other posts about Forms 3.0 working with SQL*Net 2 if its installed on other platforms. I guess customer pressure has made Oracle make this work, I wounder if this is now true for Windows based development?

HTH
--
Piotr Kolodziej pkol_at_otago.gda.pl
Just my private opinion. Received on Mon Dec 14 1998 - 07:34:19 CST