Re: Memory Leak Oracle 8.0

From: Jari Fredriksson <jarif_at_bitwell.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:38:27 GMT

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 02:15:45 GMT, bindu999_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

I have noticed such a leak too, at least in versions 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0. The leak occurs in client side, is is similar to what described here.

My apps are NT services, database connection is via OCI.

The leak appears to be somewhere deep in client driver's, and it can be easily found e.g. in SQL*PLus, too. Just write a script like

connect user/pass_at_server
disconnect
connect user/pass_at_server
disconnect
connect user/pass_at_server
disconnect
connect user/pass_at_server
disconnect

While it goes on, the resources are lost along the way.

All I could do was to stop & restart the services once a day (thus releasing the resources) and having enough virtual memory to be lost.

>Hello,
> We are using Oracle 8.0 For Windows NT.We have developed a multithreaded
>application using Pro C/C++.We are noticing that for every connect to the
>database , there is some resource leak , after the connection to the database
>is closed.We observe that after every connect to database and connection
>termination to the database , there is a leak of about of 1 handle and
>40k of Virtual Memory.The increase in handles and VMSize for the
>application , is not in step with the decrease when the connection is
>closed.Since our application has to run as a service ,
>we get "Running Out Of Virtual Memory" in Windows NT.
>Can somebody explain this behaviour. Any help regarding this would be
>very much apprciated.
>Thanks in advance
>bindu

  BITWELL OY           | Email:      jari.fredriksson_at_bitwell.com
  Jari Fredriksson     | Phone:      +358-9-851 1105
  Nieriaisentie 6 B    | Mobile:     +358-40-546 3106
  01480 VANTAA         | Facsimile:  +358-9-851 1150