Re: Sybase vs Oracle - which is better?

From: <denny_vk_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/12/08

With Oracle on Unix you can easily export into a named pipe and use split and compress to split the DMP into multiple OS files. The reverse will work for import. The problem with Sybase is that you cannot dump a single table. You don't always have to move the entire database across servers ( Sybase terminology). You will be forced to use bcp. BCP out works fine with a pipe, but trying to bcp the data in through a pipe is a problem. ( You get CT-Library errors. Haven't been able to figure out why. ) You could use maybe third party tools or other utilities for obtaining the table creation scripts and stuff like that. But the point here is that there is no single utility like the EXP in Oracle to do the job.

Denny

In article <CTW92.816$KG4.425208_at_news.teleport.com>,   "Barbara Kennedy" <barbken_at_teleport.com> wrote:
> In Oracle the export process indicates what character set was used. So if
> you export from a database that uses a 8 bit character set and import it
> into one that was installed with a 7 bit character set you will be
> disappointed. (the other way is fine) You can import it, but the
> ununderstandable characters, those that work in 8 bit but are not in the 7
> bit, will be converted to ?s. It knows how to convert from ebsidic to ascii
> for example.
>
> On Netware it will automatically break the export into multiple 4 gig files
> (In Netware 4.11 that is the largest a file can be). I am not sure about
> the UNIX platforms. This is the latest version of Oracle on Netware.
> Jim
>
> RobertSimmons wrote in message <36681A4F.4641_at_ibm.net>...
> >Hello,
> > BCP does allow you to specify a first-rwo and last-row to BCP out. So,
> >if needed, it would be possible to break very large table into parts. If
> >I were moving databases from one server to another on the same platform
> >and character set and sort order, I'd problably dump the database to
> >tape and restore it that way. BTW: A database dump does have all the
> >database structures attributes - a BCP is just the data of a single
> >table. Sybase does provide a few utilities to create the structure
> >scripts such as defncopy, ddlgen and defgen.
> >
> >Someone earlier mentioned that they could take an Oracle export file
> >from a Solaris or AIX system and import it directly into an NT system.
> >Sybase does not have this support. How does Oracle handle the character
> >set high order and low order byte tranlations between platforms? Also,
> >How does Oracle export handle a 2 Gb. file size limitation?
> >
> >Thanks, Robert
> >
> >denny_vk_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
> >>
> >> Try moving a few gig using BCP even across servers on the same patform.
 How
> >> are you going to handle file sizes greater than 2GIG ? ( On most 32 bit
 unix
> >> flavours ). Plus you need all the scripts for creating the tables. You
 cannot
> >> obtain it from the dump.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Denny Koovakattu