Re: Sybase vs Oracle - which is better?

From: Philip Brown <phil.s3_at_bolthole.no-bots.com>
Date: 1998/12/02

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:10:14 -0500, iron_horse_at_compuserve.com wrote:
>Row vs. Page locking granularity ... after 7 years with Sybase I have yet
>to run into an application where page locking was an issue. If there have
>been locking issues it has arisen from poor database and/or application/SQL
>design. The granularity of the Sybase locks (at the page level) have never
>been a problem. (My last Sybase environment was running 1500 concurrent
>users against a 140GB OLTP database ... and the only lock problems were
>poor application design!)

I'm a complete database newbie, but I have a background in programming... so this seems to be not such a great example of "row locking isn't important". I would think that the larger your database, the less likely you are to need row locking. So it would be more interesting if you had 1500 users, and a 4 GB OLTP database, without needing row locking, I would think.

comments?

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5