Re: Sybase vs Oracle - which is better?

From: RobertSimmons <abpitg_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1998/12/07

Hello,
 Page locking vs. row locking is really defined by the design philosophy. You know up front that applications will cause page contention problems. So, you design the database schema to deal with these issues. You would deal with this in the same manner you would deal with applications where you know there will contention for a particular row. You just do it at a page level. There isn't too much difference. One of the few time I've seen this problem at a page level, row locking would have caused the same problem. Multiple applications cause a hot spot on a table with a sequental key..all of then wanted to look at or update the last row ( highest sequence number ) and add the next row on the page..we solved the problem ( for the most part ) by creating a new clustered index so that the highest sequence number wasn't necessarily on the last page..

Robert