Re: Sybase vs Oracle - which is better?

From: Barbara Kennedy <barbken_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1998/12/04

In Oracle the export process indicates what character set was used. So if you export from a database that uses a 8 bit character set and import it into one that was installed with a 7 bit character set you will be disappointed. (the other way is fine) You can import it, but the ununderstandable characters, those that work in 8 bit but are not in the 7 bit, will be converted to ?s. It knows how to convert from ebsidic to ascii for example.

On Netware it will automatically break the export into multiple 4 gig files (In Netware 4.11 that is the largest a file can be). I am not sure about the UNIX platforms. This is the latest version of Oracle on Netware. Jim

RobertSimmons wrote in message <36681A4F.4641_at_ibm.net>...
>Hello,
> BCP does allow you to specify a first-rwo and last-row to BCP out. So,
>if needed, it would be possible to break very large table into parts. If
>I were moving databases from one server to another on the same platform
>and character set and sort order, I'd problably dump the database to
>tape and restore it that way. BTW: A database dump does have all the
>database structures attributes - a BCP is just the data of a single
>table. Sybase does provide a few utilities to create the structure
>scripts such as defncopy, ddlgen and defgen.
>
>Someone earlier mentioned that they could take an Oracle export file
>from a Solaris or AIX system and import it directly into an NT system.
>Sybase does not have this support. How does Oracle handle the character
>set high order and low order byte tranlations between platforms? Also,
>How does Oracle export handle a 2 Gb. file size limitation?
>
>Thanks, Robert
>
>denny_vk_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
>>
>> Try moving a few gig using BCP even across servers on the same patform.
 How
>> are you going to handle file sizes greater than 2GIG ? ( On most 32 bit
 unix
>> flavours ). Plus you need all the scripts for creating the tables. You
 cannot
>> obtain it from the dump.
>>
>> --
>> Denny Koovakattu
>>
>> In article <36543257.7782_at_ibm.net>,
>> RobertSimmons <abpitg_at_ibm.net> wrote:

 Unix

>> > Hello,
>> > It is not possible to directly dump a database on UNIX and load
 it
>> > directly into a NT database. This is do to the native character sets.
>> > The usual method of moving data betwwen the two different platforms is
>> > to use a sybase utility called BCP ( Bulk Copy Program) which allows
 you
>> > to copy tables out in a specified character set and then BCPing the
>> > output file into the target database on the other platform. You'll have
>> > to create a duplicate copy of the table on the target before you put
 BCP