Re: Migrating from Oracle 7.3x to Oracle 8.04

From: Dale Cook <dcook_at_scientech.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 13:44:42 -0800

Pretty straightforward, but you better follow the directions carefully. I hosed the first database I tried to convert when I started up the v7 database with the v8 software. At that point, I had to rebuild the database (just used v8 to do this) and imported the v7 export. If you do only one thing, make a backup :-)

The process is laid out in the Oracle 8 server installation guide, in the chapter appropriately entitled: "Upgrading and Migrating". All in all, it went pretty smoothly. You just have to make sure your ORACLE_HOME variable is set correctly at each step. Also, you'll have to update any ProC makefiles you're using - a lot changed there. Except for the test database I hosed, we used the Migration Path, as opposed to the Upgrade path.

----dale