Need Help with ORA-01652

From: Peter Fullbright <pfullbright_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 10:00:07 -0600

I am executing a query, which has a long list of columns for a GROUP BY clause, but no ORDER BY clause. I have a temporary space of 1 Gigabytes. Everytime I run the query, I get the following error:

ORA-01652 unable to extend temp segment by 27309 in tablespace SYSTEM.

The user who runs this query does not have default tablespace set to SYSTEM or temporary tablespace set to SYSTEM. The user's default tablespace is USERS and temporary tablespace is TEMPORARY_DATA. Shouldn't the message say "unable extend temp segment by 27309 in tablespace USERS or TEMPORARY_DATA", if the query is not able to find enough space for grouping.

Can someone throw some light on this problem, as I keep getting this error with SYSTEM as the tablespace that does not have "temp" segment space? Thanks.
-Peter. Received on Thu Dec 03 1998 - 10:00:07 CST