Re: Dblink doesn't work

From: Bill Despeaux <wjd_at_erols.com>
Date: 29 Nov 1998 14:41:26 GMT

Dmitry,

When you say the link "doesn't work", do you mean that the "create database link..."
statement failed or that a subsequent attempt to use the link fails?

The reason I mention the difference is because I had a similar problem with links
going from O8 database to O7 databases. I was able to create the links in the Oracle 8 database ok (using SQL*Plus), but couldn't describe the remote tables.
I'm not at work, so I don't have the exact error code in front of me.

As it turned out, Oracle does not support "describes" going from O8 to O7 in SQL*Plus.
Everything else worked fine. I was able to select/insert/update/delete - just couldn't
do a describe. There was a bit of discussion in one of the Metal Link forums on it
where Oracle admits that SQL*Plus does not support this.

Bill. Received on Sun Nov 29 1998 - 08:41:26 CST