Re: Networking with Personal Oracle

From: Bob Withers <bwit_at_ticnet.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 08:42:02 -0600

In article <C6%72.2297$Z72.604914_at_tundra.ops.attcanada.net>, ntareen_at_attcanada.net says...

> bdickey_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in message
> <73pd6k$dqv$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> >How do you use SQL*Net 2.2 with Personal Oracle on a standalone computer?
>

> In my opinion you will need Oracle for Workgroup to link to other Client
> software or users.
>
> Personel Oracle may only work in Solo mode.

This isn't the case. Personal Oracle includes a listener process and may be configured to accept connections from remote machines. I don't believe the listener was included in the trial versions downloaded from the Web (at least it wasn't in 7.3.3) but it is included in every full license version of PO I have worked with.

Try the following to see if you have a listner installed:

dir %ORACLE_HOME%\bin\lsnr*

If you see a .EXE file you have a listener installed. Try to start it via:

lsnrctl start

      or
lsnrctl80 start

If it starts you can see which protocols are supported via:

lsnrctl status

Regards,
Bob

--

Bob Withers                        Do or do not, there is no try
bwit_at_pobox.com                                           Yoda