URGENT! How do I cancel a forms session....

From: Rod Stringer <stringerr_at_logica.com>
Date: 28 Nov 1998 18:22:54 GMT

Hi all
We are about to go live and we have a problem when the users enter an unrestricted query and the form sits for a weekend-break trying to query the database - large tables, lots of joins etc etc etc. We are actively working on (further) limiting the users via selection criteria, but one question we could really *really* do with being answered is this:-

If we call forms from the menu (and other forms) using open_form (i.e. a new session) is there any way of killing the particular session that that form is running in, from the client. The client is Windows NT, and Oracle 7.3 running on Unix.

I've seem questions before on here re; cancelling a query from forms, but I wonder if we could actually identify a particular form's session (at some point - say, on_new_form_instance) and have a toolbar-button issue a 'kill process' command (i.e. alter system kill session blah blah??)

We *could* just let the user leave that form going and start up another one (and control the number of forms/sessions that they have going at one time - package variables) but surely we should be able to 'control' things in this, or a similar, way???

Hope the above makes sense - Many thanks in advance!!

/All views expressed are my own and not of the company/ Received on Sat Nov 28 1998 - 12:22:54 CST