Networking with Personal Oracle

From: <bdickey_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 17:20:27 GMT

I'm trying to connect a package called Business Objects to a Personal Oracle database, using SQL*Net 2.2. The Business Objects database connection dialog box asks for Username, Password, and Database. I'm connecting to the default database that is supplied with Personal Oracle 7.2, where the username is "scott" and the Password is "tiger". I don't know what to enter for the Database parameter, so I'm leaving it blank. Business Objects help indicates that this Database parameter means hostname, server, and database as a connection string. The Oracle Personal database starts, but then I get message ORA-01017: "Invalid username/password. Logon denied." Does anyone have any ideas how I could establish this connection or create a connection string? Do I need a real Oracle server? Business Objects allows either SQL*Net or ODBC as driver choices. Thanks for your help